Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 17 - January 23, 2010

I was hoping to go to the South Island on the ferry to Picton, a small town at the tip of the south island but the weather sucked so bad today. It poured and was so windy. So I decided to go see the last few things in Wellington I wasn't able to see yesterday.

I started at the National Archives to go see the equivalent of New Zealand's Constitution, but they are remodeling! :( Today is not starting off great yet!

So I went over to the "Beehive", and other parliament buildings for a tour instead. I had a great time and got to see the insides of the parliament and other government buildings. We weren't allowed to take pics so I don't have many pics from today, but you can see the outside of the buildings. I just missed Prince William by a day. He was in town Sunday - Tuesday and staying one block from where I am staying, at the Prime Minister's house. They built a new Supreme Court building and he opened it for the city!

After that I went to the Wellington Museum. I was soaked to the bone after walking from the parliament buildings. It was interesting to see how Wellington came about. There was also a really interesting exhibit on a horrible storm that knocked over a boat and killed 51 people back in the late 1960s because of 170 mph winds. It was a very interesting museum and I learned a lot today.

After the museum, I went to go by a coat. It is freezing and pouring rain and so windy today! I had some fish and chips for lunch (a traditional Wellington food) and pondered what to do next.

I have been to every museum and most of the stores are closed today and the weather sucks so I went and saw a Peter Jackson movie, The Lovely Bones, at the famous Empire Theatre. They have an 800 seat theatre (it is assigned seating). This is the theatre where they had the world premiere of this movie and the third Lord of the Rings movie. I will try to get a pic of the theatre tomorrow on my LOTR tour. The Lovely Bones is a great movie and it was a lot of fun to see it in the director's favorite theatre. It was quite the experience.

After the movie, I trekked back to my B&B to shower. I look and eel like a drowned rat! I went to a great Italian restaurant and then came back, did some work and went to bed.

Here are a couple of pics from the day, not too many from today!

No comments:

Post a Comment